Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bye-bye Scale



My lactation consultant had mercy on us before Abby's surgery and loaned us a scale. We needed one that showed weight gain in ounces and tenths of ounces. She knew we needed every bit of encouragement we could get. It's remained (to Grant's chagrin) a centerpiece in our dining room since then. Here's a picture with me and Abby standing in our dining room and you can just barely see it behind us.


But today, we gave it back. I haven't put Abby on it in a few weeks actually. She's eating so well that I haven't needed to. Hows that for progress?

As my lactation consultant was leaving, she asked me when Abby got diagnosed. "On day 5 of her life", I said. She sighed, and told me about a baby she was working with recently who wasn't gaining weight and wasn't diagnosed with a heart defect until she was 3 months old. She had surgery at 4 months (like Abby) and didn't make it. She was too weak to handle the surgery. Do I need to explain that the flood of fears came roaring back? It actually solidified in my mind, this far after the fact, that my fears for our frail little girl even making it through surgery were founded. It happens. But by the grace of God, not to us. Not to her. Thank you, God.

2 comments:

  1. What a terrible story. How thankful we should all be for what we have. Abby's a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for Abby. I am sorry to see your lovely dining room decor go bye bye. I bet it really added the finishing touches to that room.

    ReplyDelete